Wednesday, August 15, 2012

MySQL on Fedora 17 and Grails

I was running into some strange behavior when writing a test Grails Application that uses MongoDB (MongoDB 2.0.6-2.fc17 installed via YUM) for storage.

Specifically, when I use scaffolding, I am unable to reorder the fields using the static constraints block.

I saw this mentioned on a post in the Nabble forum for Grails, alluding to this possibly being a problem with MongoDB.  However, I was not able to find any more information on scaffold field ordering via static constraints not working for MongoDB.

In order to run this down further, I decided to take my same test application and run it using MySQL for storage.  I haven't used MySQL for years, so it took a little to get re-acclimated.

  1. Quick check for MySQL on the Fedora 17 server:
    # yum list mysql
    Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
    Installed Packages
    mysql.x86_64                       5.5.25a-1.fc17                       @updates
    Available Packages
    mysql.i686                         5.5.25a-1.fc17                       updates

    Yay, it's already installed. Looks like it shipped with 5.5.25a-1, a specific build for FC17.

  2. Enable the Service upon startup:
    # systemctl enable mysqld.service

  3. Secure it:
    # mysqladmin -u root password ********

  4. Enable remote connections from development machine for administration.
    # mysql -u root -p mysql
    Also, I opened up port 3306 through the firewall on the FC17 server.

  5. Next, I logged in via MySQL Client and ran Create Database, Create User,  and Grant All to create a new Database for my Grails Application, create a User for this Database, and Grant all privileges to that User for the newly-created database.
  6. Finally, I changed my Grails App Plugins (removed mongodb, installed mysql-connectorj-5.1.12 and hibernate-2.1.0) and updated DataSource.groovy:
    dataSource {
        pooled = true
        driverClassName = "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
        dialect = "org.hibernate.dialect.MySQL5InnoDBDialect"
        username = "racetrack"
        password = "********"
    hibernate {
        cache.use_second_level_cache = true
        cache.use_query_cache = true
        cache.provider_class = "net.sf.ehcache.hibernate.EhCacheProvider"
    // environment specific settings
    environments {
        development {
          dataSource {
             dbCreate = "create-drop" // one of 'create', 'create-drop','update'
             url = "jdbc:mysql://ptenn:3306/racetrack"
       test {
          dataSource {
             dbCreate = "create"
             url = "jdbc:mysql://ptenn:3306/racetrack"
       production {
          dataSource {
             dbCreate = "update"
             url = "jdbc:mysql://ptenn:3306/racetrack"

No comments:

Post a Comment